Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Florence State Teachers College
teacher college south of Ohio R.
1830 ~ opened as LaGrange College
(Methodist) at nearby Leighton.
First charted college in state.
1855 ~ moved here and re~named
Florence Wesleyan University.
Flourished until closed by war in 1865.
1872 ~ deeded to State by church;
became Florence State Normal School
1926 ~ present name adopted
Erected by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 48.542′ N, 87° 40.725′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Wood Ave. and Cramer Way on N. Wood Ave.. Touch for map. Located on UNA campus in front of Wesleyan Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: Harrison Plaza Florence, AL 35632, Florence AL 35632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wesleyan Hall 1855 (here, next to this marker); Wesleyan Bell (here, next to this marker); 1st Lt. Chadwick McFall Barber (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War I Memorial Trees (about 500 feet away); Major General George Washington Goethals' Home George H. Carroll Lion Habitat (about 600 feet away); Locust Dell Academy (about 600 feet away); Coffee High School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . .
1. Aerial View of State Teachers College, Founded, 1855, Florence, Ala. Aerial View of State Teachers College, Founded, 1855, Florence, Ala. (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
2. University of North Alabama. The University of North Alabama (abbreviated UNA) is a coeducational university located in Florence, Alabama, and the state's oldest four-year public university. (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
The University of North Alabama, which celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2005, has undergone numerous sweeping changes in the course of its long history. Originally founded as LaGrange College in 1830, it was reestablished in 1872 as the first state-supported teachers college south of the Ohio River. A year later, it became one of the nation's first coeducational colleges.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,274 times since then and 75 times this year. Last updated on June 1, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.