Maysville in Mason County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Front Street Maysville, 1850
This county seat and trade center of over 4,500 people daily welcomed freight-hauling steamboats bringing in goods and visitors and picking up hemp, tobacco and whiskey at the bustling foot of Sutton Street. Senator Henry Clay and others stopped overnight at the red brick Lee House, mixing and talking with old citizens and Irish and German newcomers.
Erected 1998 by Maysville-Mason County Area Chamber of Commerce, Limestone Economic Development, Inc.
Location. 38° 38.877′ N, 83° 45.744′ W. Marker is in Maysville, Kentucky, in Mason County. Marker can be reached from East McDonald Parkway 0.1 miles west of Limestone Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 East McDonald Parkway, Maysville KY 41056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Fayette's Visit to Maysville (a few steps from this marker); Underground Rail Road (a few steps from this marker); Limestone Landing (a few steps from this marker); Maysville River Front 1900 Buffalo Trace (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis and Clark in Kentucky / John Colter (ca. 1775-1813) (within shouting distance of this marker); Mason County Spy Company (within shouting distance of this marker); John Samuel Darrough / Medal of Honor Recipient (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maysville.
Regarding Front Street Maysville, 1850. Summer time; the river bank along Water Street, was the original name for Front Street. The banks are lined with various modes of wheeled transportation that included a side wheeled steam boat, stage coaches, ox carts and drays of every description.
The buildings which face the river are of brick construction and show predominance of new houses in the area.
As a result of the floodwall construction and urban renewal projects, an entire block of Federal-period architecture was demolished.
Note the passage arches at Cox’s bookstore. It is said that one of the buildings on this block had a peephole and a hidden room for ‘hiding the priest’ from anti-Catholic elements of the ‘Know-Nothing
Keep in mind these buildings were built for shipping business.
The three storied building on the left, known today as The Lee House, what was originally named the Washington Hotel, was built circa 1798. Famous guests include Henry Clay, the Marquis de Lafayette and Andrew Jackson. (The original guest register is on display at the Kentucky Gateway Museum Center). After a complete renovation, the Lee House has been changed into upscale apartments.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.