Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
National Guard Armory
The United States flag that flies at the base of this hill stands as a sentry over the site that was the home of Fort Willingham Armory from 1937-1979. The Armory was named after Dr. Henry J. Willingham, president of Florence State Normal School, and later, Florence State Teachers College for 25 years. In addition to its military functions, the Armory also served as the focal point for community sporting events and social gatherings.
In 1935, an extensive building program was inaugurated by the State of Alabama, the Adjutant General's Office, and the Works Progress Administration for the construction of an armory for each National Guard unit in the State. For Governor Bibb Graves, Adjutant General John C. Coleman, and many National Guardsmen, the building program was a dream come true. The cost of construction for 32 armories exceeded two million dollars. Fort Willingham Armory cost $31,110. The Armory was razed in January 1981. All that remains of Fort Willingham are the rock walls surrounding the site, history of the units stationed here, and memories of those who trained here.
Service Company, 106th Med BN 1937
101st Light Pontoon Co. 1939
Co. F., 151st Combat Eng BN 1940
Co. F., 1343rd Eng BN 1944
104th Air Defense BN HQS, & A Co. 1947
278th Air Defense Arty BN HQS, & A Co. 1953
161st Medical Co. 1953
115th SIG BN, HQS CO. & A Co & D Co. 1960
Co. B., 1st Special Forces BN, 20th Group 1961
Members of these units were patriotic citizens of the NW Alabama Region who served their State and Nation with distinction during wars, natural disasters, and humanitarian missions.
Erected 2013 by Florence Historical Board.
Location. 34° 48.359′ N, 87° 39.88′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Florence Boulevard and North Oak Street, on the right when traveling west on Florence Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 115th Signal Battalion (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Mountain" Tom Clark Florence Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Patton Elementary School (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldier's Rest (approx. 0.3 miles away); East Florence Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Hood's Narrow Escape (approx. 0.4 miles away); Walnut Street Historic District (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 531 times since then and 106 times this year. Last updated on June 1, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.