Chambersburg in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gen. A.G. Jenkins' Southern cavalry raided Chambersburg June 15-17, 1863, prior to the main invasion; and later led the invading army, June 22-24. Gen. R.E. Lee entered Chambersburg on June 26.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 39° 54.804′ N, 77° 40.11′ W. Marker is in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 11) and Orchard Drive, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1680 Orchard Dr, Chambersburg PA 17201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chambersburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.6 miles away); Martin Delany (approx. 1.1 miles away); Suesserott House (approx. 1½ miles away); First Lutheran Church (approx. 1½ miles away); Philip Berlin (approx. 1½ miles away); Frederick Douglass and John Brown (approx. 1½ miles away); Israel Benevolent Society Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chambersburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.