Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shippensburg in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shippensburg

 
 
Shippensburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 30, 2015
1. Shippensburg Marker
Inscription. Founded 1730 by Edward Shippen. Second oldest town in the state west of the Susquehanna River. Important community on colonial frontier. Temporary seat of Cumberland Co., whose first courts were held here in 1750-51.
 
Erected 1948 by Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 2.557′ N, 77° 32.087′ W. Marker is in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of West King Street (US 11) and Park Heights Avenue on West King Street (US 11). Touch for map. Although Shippensburg is in Cumberland County, this marker is actually in Franklin County. Marker is in this post office area: Shippensburg PA 17257, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away); Korean War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Veterans Memorial Park (about 500 feet away); William C. Ashwell (approx. half a mile away); Braddock Expedition (approx. 0.6 miles away); This Tablet Marks the Site of Fort Morris (approx. 0.6 miles away); Galen J. Karper (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shippensburg.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Shippensburg Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 30, 2015
2. Shippensburg Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 2, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement