Vancouver in Clark County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
From Military to Municipal Airﬁeld
In 1925, the Vancouver Barracks Aerodrome was renamed Pearson Field, in honor of Lt. Alexander Pearson, a young army pilot killed while piloting an experimental aircraft.
A separate field for civilian aviation was established by the Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, later to be controlled by the City of Vancouver. The dominating military presence was soon overshadowed by the civilian presence, with passenger flights, air-mail flights, flight schools, and local air
Today Pearson Field is jointly owned by the city and the National Park Service, and remains one of the oldest active air fields in the country.
Erected by Vancouver National Historic Reserve.
Location. 45° 37.227′ N, 122° 38.984′ W. Marker is in Vancouver, Washington, in Clark County. Marker is on S. V Street near Columbia House Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vancouver WA 98661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U. S. Grant Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ilchee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carlton Foster Bond (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Aviation History in Vancouver (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Chkalov Transpolar Flight (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Soviet Transpolar Flight of 1937 The 321st Observation Squadron (1923-1941) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Howard C. French / Alexander Pearson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vancouver.
More about this marker. The background photograph on the marker has the caption, "This Curtiss B-2 Condor was one of twelve fabric-covered bombers built between 1929 and 1930. The plane (picture here, ca. 1930) was brought to Pearson from San Diego to train bomber pilots, but advances in aviation technology rendered this plane obsolete by 1934. Photograph by Dale Denny, Courtesy of Pearson Air Museum.
Categories. • Air & Space • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,295 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.