Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pomona in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ladentown United Methodist Church

 
 
Ladentown United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
The Historical Society of Rockland County, August 27, 2011
1. Ladentown United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Built in 1865, this church was an outgrowth of the Wesley Chapel, located a few miles to the south. In 1862 a group of residents felt the need for their own church and were sent their first pastor, the Rev. George D. Carmichael, in 1863. His annual salary was $450, plus a horse. Church members Mr. & Mrs. John J. Secor gave 8.5 acres on which to build the church. Ladentown was named after Michael Laden, who established a store and tavern in 1816 to serve the mountain residents as well as teamsters hauling between the Ramapo iron works and Haverstraw. The church has been placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2010 by The Historical Society of Rockland County.
 
Location. 41° 11.127′ N, 74° 4.048′ W. Marker is in Pomona, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is on Ladentown Rd.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 Ladentown Rd., Pomona NY 10970, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pig Knoll School (approx. one mile away); Shady Side Farm (approx. 2.6 miles away); The English Meeting House (approx. 3.1 miles away);
Ladentown United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
The Historical Society of Rockland County, August 27, 2011
2. Ladentown United Methodist Church
New Hempstead Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Brick Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Flight 6231 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Viola United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Cobblestone Farm (approx. 4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Joni Anger, sponsor
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2015, by The Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2015, by The Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A clear photo of the marker and a wide view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement