New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Site of First U.S. District Court
Here in 1815, after the Battle of New Orleans General Andrew Jackson was fined $1000 for contempt of court in a dispute following his refusal to lift martial law before confirmation of peace was received.
The old building was demolished in 1888 when the present building was erected.
Erected 1995 by Orleans Parrish Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 57.603′ N, 90° 3.778′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Royal Street south of St Philip Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 919 Royal Street, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrew Jackson Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Poree House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); De La Ronde House (about 300 feet away); Residence of Don Manuel Lanzos (about 300 feet away); Cucullu Row (about 500 feet away); Site of First Louisiana School (about 500 feet away); Erard-Espy House (about 500 feet away); Birthplace of Danny Barker (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Politics • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 73 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 6, 2015, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?