Perth Amboy in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in 1762
Built of British-imported brick by the
Colonial Proprietors of East Jersey.
Home of the last royal Governor of
New Jersey, William Franklin in 1774.
Became a British military headquarters
during the Revolution.
Converted into a hotel:
“The Brighton” in 1808
Listed on the National Register of
Location. 40° 30.208′ N, 74° 16.142′ W. Marker is in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearny Avenue and Harrison Place, on the right when traveling south on Kearny Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 Kearny Avenue, Perth Amboy NJ 08861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governorís House (a few steps from this marker); St. Peterís Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Parish in the State (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peterís Episcopal Church & Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Mundy Peterson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kearny Cottage (approx. The Bill of Rights Arch (approx. ľ mile away); The Perth Amboy Fireman's Triangle Forged 1883 (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perth Amboy.
Also see . . . History of the Proprietary House. (Submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.