Frankfort State Hospital And School Cemetery
In 1860, Governor Magoffin signed a bill establishing the Kentucky Institution for the Education and Training of Feeble-Minded Children. In the 1940s, the name changed to the Kentucky Training Home. Adults were admitted and housed with the children due to overcrowding. Capacity was 616, but rose to 1129 residents.
By 1963, the name changed to Frankfort State Hospital and School. It closed in 1972. Many residents spent their entire lives here working as unpaid staff by maintaining the institution. More than 411 people are buried in the cemetery, with most graves marked as “unknown.”
Dedicated to the Kentuckians with disabilities who lived and died at Frankfort State Hospital.
Erected 2014 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2423.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 11.611′ N, 84° 51.797′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Cold Harbor Drive and Glenns Creek Road, on the right when traveling east on Cold Harbor Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.