Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Crossing into History
Trail of Tears
In 1838, nearly 2,000 Cherokee, their enslaved Africans, and others stopped at Brown's Ferry (a few yards to your left) and gazed across the Tennessee River toward the landing on the opposite bank. They must have been consumed with various thoughts.
Perhaps their minds drifted to memories of times gone by or of the homes, farms, and lives they left behind. As they climbed into the boat to be ferried across the river, this place became a significant part of their journey.
The majority of Confederates guarding the far ferry landing in the pre-dawn darkness of October 27, 1863, slept soundly. Suddenly, more than a thousand blue-clad soldiers seemed to burst forth from the river, exiting their pontoon boats and scattering the Southern soldiers (inset). This act of bravery opened the way for supplies to reach starving Union soldiers in Chattanooga. The life-sustaining supply line would forever be known as "The Cracker Line."
Erected by Friends of Moccasin Bend National Park (through a grant by the Lyndhurst Foundation).
Marker series. This marker is included in the Trail of Tears marker series.
Location. 35° 3.378′ Touch for map. This marker is located inside of the Moccasin Bend National Archaeological District, at the western end of the walking trail, along the east bank of the river. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37405, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Finding a Hidden Treasure (approx. 0.2 miles away); A "Trace" of the Past (approx. half a mile away); Brown's Ferry Federal Road (approx. half a mile away); Re-Opening the Tennessee River (approx. 1.3 miles away); Negley's and Wilder's Demonstrations Against Chattanooga (approx. 1.3 miles away); Boynton Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Battle of Chattanooga, 1st Day, Nov. 23 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Battle of Chattanooga, 2d Day, Nov. 24. (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. This marker is the fourth and final marker, in a series of four (4) markers that mark the footpath, used to walk portions of the old Brown's Ferry Federal Road, from the present day roadway, to the Tennessee River, and then back, a journey of about 1.2 miles, round-trip.
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 10, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.