Northern Paciﬁc Railroad
This 90 mile line from Morris to Little Falls was built using horses and dirt scrapers. It provided passenger and mail service as well as freight hauling of building materials, machinery, fuel, fertilizer, livestock, grain, cream and eggs.
The local dray line picked up merchandise at the depot and delivered it to the merchants.
After a merger in 1960, the railway became known as the Burlington Northern.
In June, 1986, the Starbuck Depot Society was organized to restore and maintain the depot building and grounds and a grand opening was held on May 16, 1992.
Four major events which have been taking place at the depot each year are Lefse Dagen, Heritage Days, Eple Tiden and Juletre Lysning.
It is believed that the City of Starbuck was named after Mr. William H. Starbuck of New York, who financed the construction of this railway. He was a friend of Henry Villard who was president of the N.P.R.R. 1881-1884.
Location. 45° 36.703′ N, 95° 31.835′ W. Marker is in Starbuck, Minnesota, in Pope County. Marker can be reached from Depot Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Starbuck MN 56381, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gilman and Clara Berg Aaberg (approx. 5.4 miles away).
More about this marker. Mounted on the Little Falls and Dakota Depot
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2015, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 45 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 15, 2015, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.