Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pollard in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Lindsey-Fitzgerald House

 
 
Lindsey-Fitzgerald House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 14, 2015
1. Lindsey-Fitzgerald House Marker
Inscription. Martin Lindsey bought the Pollard Mill later known as the Lindsey Mill Company. Several hundred employees worked at the Mill during the early 1900s, among them Joe Douglas, head of the woodlands, and Percy Watson, accounting. Mr. Lindsey handled the accounting. He built this house with virgin yellow pine lumber (headboard, tongue and groove ceilings and walls) produced and milled in Pollard circa 1890. He lived here until the family moved to Mobile. Originally there were three additional rooms on the east wing. During WW II these were dismantled and the lumber sold because of a shortage of building materials. The architecture is in the Victorian style. The Queen Anne entry door is original. W.J. "Willie" McLellan, Postmaster 1901-1930, lived here until his death. Mr. Jim Pringle bought the house and his sister, Mrs. Bessie Fitzgerald, and her family lived here through the war years. Mrs. Fitzgerald, known for her hospitality, allowed her neighbors the use of her cistern, the coldest artesian well in town, to cool their milk and watermelons. In those days, everyone had a milk cow and a garden. This was prior to most families having ice boxes or refrigeration. During the 1960s the Carey Lisenby family lived here. In the early 1990s the Finlay family acquired the house and began to restore it, receiving an award from the Escambia County
The Lindsey-Fitzgerald House image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 14, 2015
2. The Lindsey-Fitzgerald House
Historical Society in 1995. The jerk jaw roof on the west side of the house, the cupola, the porches (originally wrapped around three sides of the house) and the sand dollar (a symbol of a Christian home) were all indicative of the Victorian style.
 
Erected 2013 by the Escambia County Historical Association.
 
Location. 31° 1.567′ N, 87° 10.336′ W. Marker is in Pollard, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of Misella Street and Lamosa Street, on the right when traveling south on Misella Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Misella Street, Flomaton AL 36441, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pollard Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Pollard (approx. 1.4 miles away); Southern Pine Electric Membership Corporation (approx. 5.2 miles away); Alabama's Own (approx. 5.6 miles away); Flomaton, Alabama (approx. 5.6 miles away); Century, Florida / Alger Railroad (approx. 6.5 miles away in Florida); Franklin Cemetery (approx. 7.5 miles away); Union Cemetery (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pollard.
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryNotable Buildings
 
Nearby marker pointing to this quaint incorporated town. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 14, 2015
3. Nearby marker pointing to this quaint incorporated town.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement