Williamston in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Williamston Female College
This college was founded Feb. 12, 1872, by the Reverend Samuel Lander, D.D., Methodist minister. On this site stood the college building until 1939. The school was removed to Greenwood, S.C., Sept. 27, 1904, becoming Lander College, in honor of the founder, who died July 14, 1904. From an humble beginning there arose here a Christian institution of expanding influence, keeping faith with its motto: Puritas et Scientia.
Erected 1942 by Alumnae Association of Lander College. (Marker Number 4-16.)
Location. 34° 37.107′ N, 82° 28.713′ W. Marker is in Williamston, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 20) 0 miles east of Minor Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Williamston Municipal Complex. Marker is in this post office area: Williamston SC 29697, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Williamston 9-11 Monument (a few steps from this marker); Gist Rifles Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Williamston Municipal Center (within shouting distance of this marker); West Allen Williams Memorial Gravesite Confederate Skirmish (within shouting distance of this marker); West Allen Williams (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Williamston (about 600 feet away); Big Creek Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Pelzer Presbyterian Church (approx. 2 miles away); "Lord, We Are Grateful" (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamston.
Regarding Williamston Female College. The Lander motto, Puritas et Scientia, means "Purity and Knowledge."
Also see . . .
1. Landner University. Lander College became part of South Carolina’s higher education system in 1973. (Submitted on June 20, 2008.)
2. A Wonder in South Carolina: A Deaf-Mute Hears and Speaks (pdf). July 13, 1907 New York Times letter by Dr. Lander about a miracle he observed. (Submitted on November 19, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Lander College, Old Main Building. The Old Main Building of Lander College is a large masonry building, composed of (Submitted on January 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Dr. Samuel Lander
President of Williamston Female college. Was born in Lincolnton, North Carolina, January 30, 1833. graduated from Randolph-Macon College, Virginia, in 1852. The following year, he married Miss Laura Ann McPherson of Lincolnton, North Carolina. His whole like has been devoted to teaching, having taught in Catawba College, Olin Institute, Randolph-Macon College, Greensboro Female College. Principal of High Point Female School, Lincolnton Female School. President of Davenport Female College, Spartanburg Female College, and, since 1871, had held the presidency of Williamston Female College. The degree of D.D. was conferred by Trinity College, North Carolina. Joined South Carolina Conference, in 1844, and has been elected to General Conference twice. (Source: Men of the Time by J.C. Garlington (1902), pg 252.)
— Submitted May 24, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,321 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. Photos: 1. submitted on June 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2. submitted on January 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on June 6, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.