United Methodist Sites in New Berlin
1. Site of the first church building an first printing house of the Evangelical Association
Water and Plum Streets
These buildings were erected in 1816 as the first such structures in the entire denomination.
2. Second church building of the Evangelical Association in New Berlin
Market and Plum Streets
This building was erected in 1873 and used until it closed in 1929.
3. Second printing house (1837-1854) of the Evangelical Association
Market and Plumb Streets
This building later served (1854-1864) as a girls' dormitory for Union Seminary.
4. Vallerchamp Home Site
Market and Hazel Streets
Ruthanna Vallerchamp, widow of Rev.Azima Vallerchamp, ministered to Union Seminary students from 1854 until her death in 1886.
5. Emmanuel United Methodist Church
High and Plum Streets
This building was erected by the United Brethren in Christ in 1857.
6. Site of Union Seminary (1856-1887) and Central Pennsylvania College (1887-1902)
Liberty and Plum Streets
This building stood where the elementary school is now located, and there is a marker in front of the school. This institution, the first permanent educational endeavor of the Evangelical Association, merged into Albright College, then located at Myerstown PA, in 1902.
7. Francis C. Hoffman Home
Front and Walnut Streets
Rev. Francis C. Hoffman served on the faculty (1861-1863) and as principal (1863-1871) of Union Seminary. He is a brother to songwriter Rev. Elisha Hoffman, who attended Union Seminary, and a first cousin to Rev. W. W/ Orwig.
8. Site of Methodist Episcopal Church
Market Street, west of Union Street
This church building which stood here was erected in 1845, and services were discontinued sometime before 1876.
9. William W. Orwig Home
High Street, east of Union Street
Rev. W. W.Orwig was the publisher of the Evangelical Association (1836-1859) and principal of Union Seminary (1859-1863). He was elected a bishop in 1863.
10. New Berlin Cemetery
Walnut Street, north of Liberty Street
Rev.Solomon Miller (1777-1820) - first publisher (1816-1819) of the Evangelical Association
Rev. GeorgeMiller (1774-1816) - co laborer of the successor to Jacob Labright, brother of Rev. Solomon Miller
George Miller (1794-1859) - "the printer" of the Evangelical Association
Rev. Azima Vallerchamp (1805-1854) - pioneer Evangelical Association preacher
Rev. James Barber (1797-1867) - pioneer Evangelical Association preacher
Rev. Peter Beaver (1782-1845) - pioneer Methodist Episcopal preacher, one of very few fluent in the German language
Rev. Aaron Ezra Gobble (1856-1929) - principal of Union Seminary (1881-1887), and president of Central Pennsylvania College (1887-1902)
Top Center Map of New Berlin
Left Photos Grave of Rev. Peter Beaver and 1927 Dedication of the stone monument.
Right Photos Union Seminary and Second Printing House
Location. 40° 52.591′ N, 76° 59.106′ W. Marker is in New Berlin, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Berlin PA 17855, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Church Building and Printing House of the Evangelical Association (here, next to this marker); First Church of the Evangelical Association (here, next to this marker); "Albright's People" (a few steps from this marker); First Printing House of the Evangelical Association (a few steps from this marker); Evangelical Church (approx. half a mile away); John Jacob LeRoy (approx. 3 miles away); Leroy Massacre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fought's Mill (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Berlin.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 34 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.