Warm Springs in Meriwether County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Beginning as the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, this hospital for polio patients was founded by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1927.
The Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation is today an internationally recognized comprehensive rehabilitation facility, providing services for people with many different types of disabilities.
Visitors can go on a walking tour of the historic buildings by driving to Georgia Hall located on the campus and proceed to the reception booth.
Pictures here include the old gated entrance, the Georgia Hall entrance and the Chapel, dedicated by FDR in 1938, that is still in use today.
Roosevelt loved Warm Springs and in 1932, he built the only home he ever owned - a modest, six room cottage that came to be called “The Little White House” which served as a relaxing, comfortable haven for him during his regular visits to Warm Springs.
It was here that he developed many of the New Deal policies that would effect the entire nation. It was also here where he died on April 12, 1945 while posing for the “Unfinished Portrait”.
The Little White House State Historic Site and the nearby historic pools complex are both operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
Today, Warm Springsí history comes alive in the charming restaurants and hotels and the 100 year old restored buildings.
Over 60 stores and restaurants are located here for shopping and dining. Please be sure to visit the Warm Springs Welcome Center located on the site of the old train depot for further information about the town and local areas of interest.
This area was once used as a public picnic area and entrance to the public pool. The 1929 map (below) provided the visitor with general directions to all of the local venues. At this location, there was the Warm Springs Service Station (FDRís 1932 Plymouth is being serviced, bottom right) and the Pantry Shelf which provided sandwich and picnic supplies. Whether traveling by wagon or coach, horse or automobile, there was ample room for parking, with many picnic tables on the lawns. Travelers could pull over for a bite and then perhaps take a swim in the warm mineral baths. Even today, Warm Springs offers the same hospitality to our guests, what Roosevelt called “The Spirit of Warm Springs”.
The main entrance to the public pool was located just a few yards away. The famous T-shaped pool was closed in 1945 after FDRís death.
This was the pool that he exercised in before the patientís pools were built. He found the waters so relaxing to his paralyzed muscles that he made plans to travel here as often as he could as citizen, governor and President.
Water from the warm springs feeds the stone drinking fountain located near the main entrance.
Location. 32° 53.507′ N, 84° 41.293′ W. Marker is in Warm Springs, Georgia, in Meriwether County. Marker can be reached from Spring Street (Georgia Route 41) 0.1 miles west of Golf Course Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the north end of a roadside picnic area. Marker is in this post office area: Warm Springs GA 31830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Georgia Warm Springs Foundation (within shouting distance of this marker); Warm Springs Treatment Pools Old Depot Site Warm Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Little White House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Franklin Delano Roosevelt (approx. 0.7 miles away); Roosevelt Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away); Longleaf Pine Planting (approx. 3 miles away); Dowdell's Knob (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warm Springs.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 7. submitted on November 2, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8. submitted on June 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.