Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Andrews, Manitoba — The Canadian Prairies
 

St. Andrew’s Rectory

 
 
St. Andrew's Rectory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
1. St. Andrew's Rectory Marker
Inscription. Erected between 1852 and 1854, this large limestone dwelling housed the rector of nearby St. Andrew’s church and complemented the massive construction of that building. The rectory, built for the Reverend William Cockran was one of the first stone houses in the Red River Settlement. Like a number of substantial homes built here for retired officers of the Hudson’s Bay Company, it reflects the style and character of important dwellings at company posts. In this way the rectory provides a good example of the architecture used at Red River.

Le Presbytère de St. Andrew’s. Construite dans les années 1852 à 1854 pour le ministre anglican William Cockran, cette vaste résidence en pierre calcaire est l’une des premières du genre dans la colonie de la Rivière Rouge. Elle s’harmonisait avec la structure massive de l’élise voisine. Comme plusiurs des maisons imposantes construites pour les officiers retraités de la Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson, le presbytére rappelle les bâtiments importants de postes de la Compagnie et illustre bien l’architecture de la Rivière Rouge.
 
Erected 1984 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
 
Location. 50° 3.985′ N, 96° 58.663′ W. Marker is in St. Andrews, Manitoba
St. Andrew's Rectory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
2. St. Andrew's Rectory Marker
. Marker is at the intersection of River Road (Provincial Highway 238) and St. Andrew's Road (Provincial Highway 410), on the left when traveling north on River Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 347 River Road, St. Andrews, Manitoba R2M 4A1, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrews Anglican Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Twin Oaks (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); St. Andrews Caméré Curtain Dam (approx. 3.1 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
St. Andrew's Rectory image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
3. St. Andrew's Rectory
St. Andrew's Rectory image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 20, 2008
4. St. Andrew's Rectory
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,111 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement