Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Garrard’s Cavalry Raid

 
 
Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 20, 2008
1. Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker
Inscription. On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur, 6 miles E of Atlanta. Garrard’s three brigades were guarding bridges over the Chattahoochee River and picketing the left flank. That night, Garrard was ordered to assemble his command and march to Covington (29 miles S) to burn the bridges over the Yellow and Ulcofauhachee (Alcovy) rivers and destroy the Georgia Railroad in that area.

He marched late on the 21st. Next morning the destruction was begun. At Covington, he burned the depot, a newly-built hospital center, 2,000 bales of cotton, and large quantities of quartermaster and commissary supplies. After destroying 2 railroad and 4 wagon bridges, 3 trains and 6 miles of track, he turned north toward Loganville (11 miles SE), arriving there on July 23rd.

While Long's and Miller’s brigades performed the same mission in and around Loganville, Garrard detached Minty’s brigade to Lawrenceville to strip this area of horses and mules. Reaching Lawrenceville later in the day, Minty encountered a small force of cavalry [CS] which, after a sharp skirmish, he drove from the town. After rounding up all stock which had not been hidden at his approach, Minty moved to Yellow River (4 miles SW) and made camp. Next morning
Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, June 21, 2015
2. Garrard’s Cavalry Raid Marker
The north-east corner of the Gwinnett County Courthouse can be seen in the distance.
he marched to Decatur to rejoin Garrard.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 067-2B.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 57.418′ N, 83° 59.313′ W. Marker is in Lawrenceville, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker is on North Clayton Street (Georgia Route 20) 0 miles south of West Pike Street (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on the lawn of the Old Gwinnett County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lawrenceville GA 30045, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Button Gwinnett (within shouting distance of this marker); Gwinnett County (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Bill Arp (within shouting distance of this marker); The Home of Major William E. Simmons (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Veterans of Gwinnett County, Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial to the Fallen of 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); In Tribute to Ezzard Charles (within shouting distance of this marker); Watering Trough 1873 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lawrenceville.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,216 times since then and 74 times this year. Last updated on June 21, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1. submitted on March 10, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on June 21, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement