Williamston in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint Mary Parish
Beginning in the 1850s, Williamston Catholics worshipped with visiting priests. They often traveled ten miles by carriage or horseback on rutted, muddy roads to Saint Patrick Church in Woodhull (present-day Shaftsburg) to worship with Father Louis Van Den Driessche (Van Driss) of Lansing. In 1866 two brothers, Jerome and James Waldo, entered into a contract with Detroit Bishop Peter Paul Lefevere, stipulating they would sell a plot of land in the village of Williamston to the diocese for twenty-five cents, provided that a church worth at least one thousand dollars was built within three years. In 1869 a frame church costing eleven hundred dollars was erected on this site and named Saint Mary. Father John Lovett became the first resident pastor in 1879. Descendants of Saint Mary's founding families continue to worship here.
During the winter of 1868-69, Owen Brannan and Peter Zimmer cut and hauled timber to construct the first of three Catholic churches on this site. Saint Mary Church became a parish in 1879, upon the arrival of the first resident pastor. From 1889 to 1898, despite its growing
Erected 1994. (Marker Number L1918.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 41.381′ N, 84° 16.858′ W. Marker is in Williamston, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street and North Cedar Street, on the right on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 157 High Street, Williamston MI 48895, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Downtown Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bridge (about 700 feet away); The Mill (about 700 feet away); Williamston Center United Methodist Church Grand River Trail (approx. 4.4 miles away); Haslett (approx. 7.2 miles away); Chief Okemos / Okemos Village marker (approx. 7.8 miles away); Chief Okemos (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamston.
Also see . . . A History of St. Mary Catholic Church. (Submitted on June 22, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Saint Mary Parish.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.