Spotsylvania in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Secondary Education for African American Children
In 1909, a regular SSSU meeting, Lewis Terrell, Branch Fork Baptist Church Sunday School Superintendent, made a motion to use the community's money to build a school of their own. As a result, under the leadership of John J. Wright, the SSSU purchased 158-1/2 acres from D. F. and Cora V. Altenburg on January 3, 1910 for $475.50 cash. They then contracted with local master carpenter Alfred Fairchild to construct a school. Enough of the building was ready to use by the 1914-15 academic year. Mr. Wright, an 1893 graduate of Virginia Normal & Collegiate Institute, served as principal, and the ﬁrst two teachers were Lula Broadus and Sadie Coates.
On February 3, 1941, an accident of overloading wood in an upstairs tin stove caused a fire which severely burned the school and its outbuildings. Recognizing they could not rebuild without substantial financial assistance, on July 1, 1941, the SSSU deeded to
The Spotsylvania School Board contracted with a local carpenter and employee of John J. Wright High School, Rev. Frank Thompson to construct a make-shift building that became known as the “Tar Paper School" in which students attended until 1952. Under the leadership of a new superintendent, C. Melvin Snow (appointed in 1945), and after many years of social and economic preparation, the State Board of Education approved a $575,000 loan from its Literary Fund in February, 1950, to build a new school for all county African American children to attend. October 16, 1950, ground was broken for the new school and in 1952, the ﬁrst classes were held therein.
The 1967-68 school year was the last for the John J. Wright Consolidated School. Full racial integration in the fall 1968 school year coupled with restructuring brought middle schools throughout the Commonwealth. The school’s name was changed to and used as the John J. Wright Middle School. It remained so until 2006 when it closed for renovation. It reopened in 2009 as a facility for extended education and cultural programming and is now memorialized as the John J. Wright Educational & Cultural Center. It is the only school building in the county that bears the name of a Spotsylvania citizen.
(upper left) John J. Wright 1867-1931
(lower left) The school was constructed in sections between 1912-1922. Once complete, it had three ﬂoors including boarding facilities, classrooms, and a kitchen. August 5, 1940, the school's name was officially given: The John J. Wright High School
(upper center) Lewis Terrell (1858-1929)
(lower center) Left: The Spotsylvania Training School, c. 1931 / Right: Alfred Fairchild Master Carpenter
The African American Heritage Trail is supported in part by a Preserve America grant administered by the National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. This product is based upon work assisted by a grant from the U. S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Erected 2015 by Spotsylvania African American Heritage Trail.
Location. 38° 9.287′ N, 77° 36.013′ W. Marker is in Spotsylvania, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208) 0.6 miles north of Morris Road (County Route 606), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the southwest corner of the parking lot of the John J. Wright Educational & Cultural Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7565 Courthouse Road, Spotsylvania VA 22551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spotsylvania Sunday School Union Parksite (within shouting distance of this marker); John J. Wright Parksite (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Third Spotsylvania County Courthouse Site (approx. 2.2 miles away); Penny’s Tavern Site (approx. 2.3 miles away); Batter Up: Spotsylvania Yellow Jackets (approx. 2.6 miles away); Zion Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Asbury’s Deathplace (approx. 2.8 miles away); Education in Spotsylvania County (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotsylvania.
Also see . . .
1. Spotsylvania African American Heritage Trail. (Submitted on June 22, 2015.)
2. John J. Wright Educational & Cultural Center Museum. (Submitted on June 22, 2015.)
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.