Giddings in Lee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A thriving town 1865-1890; had grocery, dry goods, jewelry, drug and music stores; shops of wagon maker, blacksmith, saddler; post office, 3 doctors, 2 dentists.
On Smithville-Houston oxcart road--sending out cotton, other produce, and hauling in staples.
Decline began about 1890 as railroads bypassed settlement by several miles.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8176.)
Location. 30° 7.655′ N, 96° 59.936′ W. Marker is in Giddings, Texas, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2239 and County Road 209, on the left when traveling west on Road 2239. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Giddings TX 78942, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Serbin (approx. 1.1 miles away); James Goucher (approx. 3.1 miles away); Lee County (approx. 5.2 miles Lee County Courthouse (approx. 5.2 miles away); General Robert E. Lee / Colonel Robert E. Lee (approx. 5.3 miles away); Smithville (approx. 12.6 miles away); Rabb's Prairie (approx. 13.3 miles away); Site of Woods' Fort (approx. 13.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Giddings.
Also see . . .
1. Serbin, Texas, article in Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Wends of Texas article in Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.