La Grange in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fayette County, C.S.A.
Special county war taxes provided relief for soldiers' families. Funds were also raised by the famous "Cow Order" for seizure of strays. Censors here banned exchanges of mail with the U.S.
Confederate cotton gathered in and stored at La Grange and Round Top was freighted to Mexico by local men hauling 5 or more bales on each 3-months-long trip. In 1863 a dozen teamsters lost outfits and barely saved themselves when bandits struck near Roma, on the Mexican border.
Gen. Webb and Cols. John C. and Wm. F. Upton were Fayette County men. Local C.S.A. units were commanded by Capts. Ira G. Killough and Ben Shropshire, who fought in the Arizona-New Mexico campaign. Gen. Tom Green, first county surveyor, and Indian fighter and hero of San Jacinto and the Mexican war, had a part in such Confederate victories as the recapture of Galveston and the Battle of Mansfield, La.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1581.)
Location. 29° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange TX 78945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Bradshaw-Killough House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Dawson Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fayette County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Birthplace of the SPJST (approx. 0.7 miles away); Beer Office and Bottling Company (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.