Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Rockdale in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria

 
 
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, June 10, 2015
1. Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Marker
Inscription. Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused the departure of the Indians and the friars and the removal of this mission to the San Marcos River in 1755. Reestablished in 1762 on the Sabinal River for the conversion of the Lipan Apaches with the same name of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 7988.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 30° 41.245′ N, 97° 7.209′ W. Marker is near Rockdale, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on County Road 432 0.2 miles south of Farm to Market Road 908, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockdale TX 76567, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores (approx. half a mile away); Apache Pass River Crossing (approx. one mile away);
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Marker location image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, June 10, 2015
2. Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Marker location
Looking north towards marker.
Site of the Mission San Ildefonso (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Kay Theater (approx. 7.3 miles away); Matinee Musical Club (approx. 7.4 miles away); International & Great Northern Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. 7.4 miles away); Railroads in Rockdale (approx. 7.4 miles away); Jewish Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockdale.
 
Also see . . .  Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria Mission article at Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement