Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Congregation B'Nai Israel

(Children of Israel)

 

—First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in Tennesee —

 
Congregation B'Nai Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Klinger, circa May 2009
1. Congregation B'Nai Israel Marker
Inscription. Jews have been part of Tennessee’s economic, social and political life since the late 18th century. Congregation Children of Israel, chartered by the State of Tennessee, March 2, 1854, rented and eventually purchased a building near this site at Main and Exchange Streets. Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise, the founder of American Reform Judaism, dedicated the new synagogue, March 26, 1858. Growing rapidly, the congregation moved to larger accommodations on Poplar Avenue in 1884. It moved again to the corner of Poplar and Montgomery in 1915, and to East Massey in 1976. Congregation Children of Israel became known as Temple Israel in 1943.

The establishment of Congregation Children of Israel, in Tennessee, affirmed the American principles of freedom of religion and assembly.
 
Erected 2009 by Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, Shelby County Historical Commission, Temple Israel.
 
Location. 35° 9.074′ N, 90° 3.023′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Exchange Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Congregation B'Nai Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Klinger
2. Congregation B'Nai Israel Marker
distance of this marker. Josiah T. Settle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Casey Jones (about 600 feet away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Former Criminal Courts Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lauderdale Courts / Presley Family at Lauderdale Courts (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shelby County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
 
Additional keywords. Jewish American History
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2011, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on June 23, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos:   1. submitted on February 24, 2011, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.   2. submitted on February 27, 2011, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement