Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Milam County Jail of 1895
This structure, designed with Romanesque revival features and stone detailing above the windows, had three main floors and a "hanging tower" equipped with a trap door. The tower was never used for executions because most hangings took place outdoors. The first floor had ten rooms, three for storage and the remainder serving as a residence for the sheriff and his family. The second and third stories consisted of cell blocks for prisoners.
In 1975 a new county jail was constructed, and the Commissioners Court turned this facility over to the Milam County Historical Commission. After renovation, it was
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14048.)
Location. 30° 50.967′ N, 96° 58.538′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and South Fannin Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East Main Street, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas (a few steps from this marker); Milam County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ben Milam (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Milam County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (about 400 feet away); First National Bank of Cameron (about 800 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
Also see . . . Milam County Museum. (Submitted on June 25, 2015.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Milam County Jail of 1895.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 2. submitted on February 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 3. submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.