Thessaloniki in Regional unit of Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia Region, Greece
The White Tower is 33.9 meters high and comprises a ground floor and six storeys with a turret at the top. Up until the early 20th century, the Tower was surrounded by a low octagonal wall, which was probably built in 1535/36; three of the corners were reinforced with smaller towers.
The Tower has had many names: “Lionís Tower” in the 16th century, “The Fortress of Kalahari” in the 18th century, the “Janissary Tower” and the “Blood Tower” in the 19th century, since it served as a prison and a place of execution for long-term convicts.
Its current name came to be in 1890, when the Tower was whitewashed by a convict in exchange for his freedom.
After the liberation of Thessaloniki in 1912 and its unification with the Greek state, the White Tower has hosted the cityís air defense, the meteorological laboratory of Aristotle University and various Sea Scout groups.
In 1983, the Tower was ceded to the Ministry of Culture and its restoration began; this project was awarded the Europa Rostra prize in 1988. From 1985 onwards, it has operated as an
Location. 40° 37.589′ N, 22° 56.912′ E. Marker is in Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia Region, in Regional unit of Thessaloniki. Marker is on Nikis Avenue east of Nikiforou Foka, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This marker is located in the downtown business district, very near the waterfront, in a public park, along a walkway, that is just in front of the structure that is a well known local landmark, named the White Tower. Marker is at or near this postal address: Nikis Avenue 01, Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia Region 546 21, Greece.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Thessaloniki (here, next to this marker).
Also see . . . The White Tower of Thessaloniki. This is a link to information provided by the Historvius website. (Submitted on June 26, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 25, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on July 7, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.