Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Confederate and Union Burial Ground
Notable veterans resting here include Dr. Harvey Black, 4th Virginia Infantry, who assisted in amputating Stonewall Jackson’s arm; Col. Charles Ronald of the Stonewall Brigade; John McBryde of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s command and 5th president of Virginia Tech; Captain Thomas Nelson Conrad, Confederate spymaster and 3rd president of Virginia Tech; and Union Capt. John Brady of Gen. William T. Sherman’s command.
The town of Blacksburg, just west of here, was a thriving hamlet before the Civil War. Men from the town and Montgomery County filled the ranks of numerous Confederate regiments, including the 4th Virginia Infantry, which became part of the Stonewall Brigade. Many of those men survived the war and returned to Blacksburg to take part in the region’s postwar recovery. Many other Confederate and Union veterans gravitated to Blacksburg after the war and helped to
The Preston and Olin Institute in Blacks- burg (forerunner of Virginia Tech) was used as a Federal encampment following the 1864 Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain. That engagement was the largest battle in Southwest Virginia and part of Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s total war initiative that eventually crippled the Confederacy.
(upper left) Dr. Harvey Black / Thomas Nelson Conrad
(top center) United Veterans Group from Blacksburg, ca. 1901
(lower right) Preston and Olin Institute, 1870 All images courtesy Virginia Tech
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 14.054′ N, 80° 24.455′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Owens Street and East Roanoke Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 723 East Roanoke Street,, Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cellar Building (approx. half a mile away); William Black (approx. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (approx. half a mile away); Blacksburg Motor Company Building 1924 (approx. half a mile away); The Armory (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Frank Henderson (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Houston Squires (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Addison Caldwell (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.