Istanbul in Fatih district, Istanbul Province, Turkey
The Remnants of the Theodosian Hagia Sophia (5th Century)
Theodosius Ayasofyası Kalıntıları
The church built by the Emperor Theodosios II (408-450) on a basilica plan covered by a wooden-roof was opened for worship in 415. It was destroyed by fire during the Nike Revolt against the Emperor Justinian (527-565).
A Lamb Relief, which represents the Twelve Apostles of Christ and decorates the monumental entrance of the building and other remnants, was discovered during the archaeological excavations carried under the direction of A. M. Schneider of the German Archaeological Institute in Istanbul in 1935.
İmparator II. Theodosios (408-459) tarafından yaptırılan bazilikan planlı ahşap çatılı kilise 415 yılında ibadete açılmış, 532 yılında İmparator Iustinianos'a (527-565) karşı çıkanlan Nika Ayaklanması'nda yanmıştır.
Yapının anıtsal girişini süsleyen ve on iki havariyi temsil eden kuzu kabartmalı friz ve diğer kalıntılar 1935 yılında Istanbul Alman Arkeoloji Enstitüsü tarafından A. M. Schneider başkanlığında yapılan arkeolojik kazılarda meydana çıkanlmıştır.
Erected by Kültür ve Turizm Bakanlıǧı
Location. 41° 0.542′ N, 28° 58.774′ E. Marker is in Istanbul, Istanbul Province, in Fatih district. Marker is on Ayasofya Meydani just from Caferiye Sodak, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Istanbul, Istanbul Province 3, Turkey.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hagia Sophia (within shouting distance of this marker); The Türbe (Tomb) of Sultan Selim II (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Türbe (Tomb) of Sultan Mehmed III (about 120 meters away); The Basilica Cistern (about 150 meters away); a different marker also named Basilica Cistern (about 150 meters away); Million (about 150 meters away); The Milion Stone (about 150 meters away); Topkapi Palace (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Istanbul.
More about this marker. The museum is entered from Sultan Ahmed Parki.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.