Istanbul in Fatih district, Istanbul Province, Turkey
It was the building that was constructed by Sultan Osman III. in 1756 and the first official building for the grand vizier. The building faced several fires and was reconstructed every time after the fires.
In the first instance. It was called "Pasa Kapısı"and "Bâb-ı Âsafi”. As the building was totally destroyed due to an explosion that occurred during the rebellion in the era of Alemdar Mustafa Pasa when he was the grand vizier in 1808, it was reconstructed and was called by the name of Sultan Mahmud II as Mahmud-ı Adli. This name became Bâb-ı Adl or Bâb-ı Adli in time, and in the second half of 19th century it became Bâb-ı âli.
Until the ﬁre in 1839 the building was made of timber. In 1844 it was for the first time constructed as masonry by Stefan Kalfa. Additionally, after that date it was not used as a public office.The building forms the base of the building reaching our day whilst being reformed as a result of fires and maintenances. In the fire of 1878 Şura-yı Devlet Office Ahkam-ı Adliye Office and Ministries of Interior and Foreign Affairs were totally burnt and reconstructed. in 1910 a small building was added to Babıâli.
After the declaration of the Republic, the Sadaret Office was begun to be used as
1756 yılında Sultan III. Osman tarafından yaptırılan ve bilinen ilk resmi sadrazamlık binasıdır. Bina, tarihte yangınlar geçirmiş olup her seferinde yeniden inşa edilmiştir.
İlk önceleri binaya "Paşa Kapısı" ve "Bâb-ı Âsafl" denilmekteydi. 1808 yılında Alemdar Mustafa Paşa'nın sadrazamlığı zamanında çıkan ayaklanmada meydana gelen patlama sonucu bina tamamen yanınca, yeniden yaptırılan binaya dönemin padişahı II. Mahmut'tan dolayı "Mahmud-ı Adli" denmiştir. Bu isim zamanla "Bâb-ı Adl" ya da "Bâb-ı Adli" isimlerine, 19. yüzyılın ikinci yarısında da "Bâb-ı Ali" deyimine dönüşmüştür.
1839 yılındaki yangına kadar bina hep ahşap olarak inşa edilmiştir. 1844'te bina ilk defa olarak Stefan Kalfa tarafından kagir olarak inşa edilmiştir. Ayrıca o tarihten sonra bina sadrazamın yaşadığı yer olmaktan çıkarılarak tamamen bir devlet dairesi durumuna
Cumhuriyetin ilanından sonra Sadaret Dairesi, Vilayet Konağı olarak kullanılmaya başlanmış, yapı üzerindeki neoklasik ayrıntılar kaldırılmış ve bina yalın bir biçimde sıvanmıştır. Yapı günümüze gelinceye kadar birçok restorasyondan geçirilmiştir.
Arabic: To read the Arabic text, click on the Arabic image to enlarge it.
Erected by Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi (Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality).
Location. 41° 0.67′ N, 28° 58.684′ E. Marker is in Istanbul, Istanbul Province, in Fatih district. Marker is on Alemdar Caddesi just from Alayköşkü Caddesi, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Alemdar Caddesi No:15, Istanbul, Istanbul Province 34110, Turkey.
Other nearby markers. Alay Pavillion (within shouting distance of this marker); Gulhane Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Remnants of the Theodosian Hagia Sophia (5th Century) (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Hagia Sophia (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Basilica Cistern (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); a different marker also named The Basilica Cistern (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Million (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Milion Stone (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Istanbul.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.