Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Saint Mary Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Franklin

 
 
Franklin Marker image. Click for full size.
November 21, 2009
1. Franklin Marker
Inscription. Named for Benjamin Franklin in 1800 by founder Alexander 'Guinea' Lewis, town became St. Mary Parish seat in 1811, was incorporated in 1830, served as Teche Country’s port of entry and trade center until coming of railroads in 1870's.
 
Erected 1958 by Louisiana Department of Commerce and Industry.
 
Location. 29° 47.487′ N, 91° 30.015′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Louisiana, in Saint Mary Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Willow Street (State Highway 3069) and Main Street (State Highway 182), on the left when traveling west on Willow Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin LA 70538, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jared Young Sanders (here, next to this marker); Charles Austin O'Niell (here, next to this marker); The Gunboat Diana (a few steps from this marker); Battle Of Irish Bend (a few steps from this marker); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); German Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin's Historic Lampposts (approx. half a mile away); Donelson Caffery (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2015. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 5, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement