Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vancouver in Clark County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Covington House

 
 
Covington House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
1. Covington House Marker
Inscription. Erected 1848 by Richard and Anne Charlotte Covington on Fourth Plain. Boarding school was conducted herein in 1850. This building housed first piano in the Oregon Country and was center of social activity in entire region.
 
Location. 45° 39.159′ N, 122° 39.983′ W. Marker is in Vancouver, Washington, in Clark County. Marker is on Main Street near E. 40th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4201 Main St., Vancouver WA 98663, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Theodore A. Penland Rose Garden (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Reservation Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Officers Row (approx. 1.7 miles away); Congressional Medal of Honor Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); Cannon Replica Project (approx. 1.7 miles away); The O. O. Howard House (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Officers Row (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Grant House (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vancouver.
 
Regarding Covington House. Anne and Richard Covington built this log cabin and a boarding school on their 640-acre land claim in the area that is now Northeast Vancouver.
Covington House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
2. Covington House and Marker
The Covingtons farmed on the property and also taught school and music lessons to the children of Hudson's Bay employees. Their cabin housed the first piano in the region and was the center of hospitality and entertainment. The building was moved to its current site in the 1920s.
 
Also see . . .  Covington House. Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1974. (Submitted on June 24, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Covington House image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
3. Covington House
Nearby Blue Star Memorial Highway Sign image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
4. Nearby Blue Star Memorial Highway Sign
Covington House Rose Garden image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
5. Covington House Rose Garden
Rose Garden planted and maintained by Fort Vancouver Rose Society
Vancouver image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
6. Vancouver
On either side of this structure, located near the Covington House are markers erected 1in 1931 by the Columbia District Federation of Women's Clubs. See following pictures for more information.
George Washington Memorial Tree Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
7. George Washington Memorial Tree Marker
"This tree was planted by the Columbia District Federation of Women's Clubs, June 18, 1931, in memory of George Washington, Father of his Country, preparatory to the bicentennial celebration of his birth."
Editor's note: The fate of the tree mentioned in this marker is unknown.
Mrs. George Norman Campbell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 9, 2008
8. Mrs. George Norman Campbell Marker
"This tree was planted by the Columbia District Federation of Women's Clubs in honor of Mrs. George Norman Campbell. President of the Washington State Federation of Women's Clubs. June 18, 1931."
Editor's note: The fate of the tree mentioned in this marker is unknown.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,935 times since then and 170 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 23, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement