Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Amos Kendall (1789 - 1869)
This noted journalist-politician lived here. A Massachusetts native, he migrated to Kentucky in 1814 and spent one year with the family of Henry Clay as tutor. From 1816-28, Kendall resided in Frankfort as editor of the Argus of Western America. First a supporter of Henry Clay, he later promoted Andrew Jackson and helped carry Kentucky for him in 1828. See over.
Amos Kendall moved to Washington with Jackson administration, 1829. Joined group of close presidential advisors known as "Kitchen Cabinet" and served five years as postmaster general. He gained wealth as business agent for Samuel F. B. Morse, 1845-1869; his generous donations helped to found school for deaf and mute, later Gallaudet College in Washington, D.C. Over.
Erected 1986 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1799.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 12.041′ N, 84° 52.778′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is on West Broadway Street east of Wilkinson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Emily Thomas Tubman House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Garrard/Crittenden House (about 400 feet away); The Church of the Ascension (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Crittenden House / An Eminent Statesman (about 600 feet away); Liberty Hall / John Brown (1757-1837) (about 600 feet away); Morehead House (about 600 feet away); Macklin House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Also see . . . Amos Kendall. (Submitted on July 8, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky.)
Categories. • Communications • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 8, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.