Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Founding Of Baton Rouge
Earliest written records about Baton Rouge were provided by members of Iberville's expedition on March 17, 1699:
"From there (Bayou Manchac) we ascended five leagues farther, where we found very high banks, which in that country were called bluffs, and in the Indian tongue Istrouma which means Baton Rouge, because there is at this place a pole painted red, which the Indians had erected to mark the dividing line of the lands of the two nations, to wit: that of the Bayougoulas whence we had come, from another 30 leagues above Baton Rouge called the Oumas (Houmas)."
This red stick was erected on May 13, 1967, during the 150th anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Baton Rouge.
Erected 1967 by City of Baton Rouge.
Location. 30° 26.805′ N, 91° 11.356′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Boulevard and Layfayette Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the the north side of the Old State Capitol building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Boulevard, Baton Rouge LA 70801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); Baton Rouge Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Merci Train (within shouting distance of this marker); Slim Harpo (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisiana's Old State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Spanish Battery, 1779 (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Early Gunsmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Marcha de Galvez (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2015. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 9, 2015. 2. submitted on August 6, 2016. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.