Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
White Elephant Saloon
Blach began construction on this one-story native stone structure in March 1884. The building was completed in April and leased to J.R. Davis, who put it to its most infamous use. The White Elephant Saloon opened for business on May 1, 1884. Among its instantly popular features was a white elephant display which was removed from the rooftop early in the establishment’s heyday. The perpetrators were believed to be citizens who disapproved of the saloon’s raucous business.
Despite its popularity, David announced his intent to close the Saloon in February 1886. The Blach building soon was leased to W.M. Wigley, who operated a dry goods and furniture store on this site. Succeeding furniture businesses occupied the building for many years.
Blach’s heirs sold the structure to S.C. Coffee in 1919. Coffee sold it in 1923 to T.J. Crow, who
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14887.)
Location. 32° 43.363′ N, 99° 17.85′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on S. Main Street (U.S. 283) south of S. 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hartfield Building (here, next to this marker); Jackson Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Producing Oil Well in West Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Shackelford County (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Cattle Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. John Brown, Clara Barton and the 1886-1887 Drought Relief Lt. Col. William E. Dyess (within shouting distance of this marker); James Robert Green (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.