Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hartfield Building

 
 
Hartfield Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
1. Hartfield Building Marker
Inscription. Charles A. Hartfield purchased the lot on this site in 1881. A noted area cook, he quickly established “Charley’s Restaurant,” which included a bakery and boardinghouse. Hartfield was so successful that he planned an elegant rock structure in which to house his business. Construction began in March 1884 amid a flurry of development in the area. Scottish stonemason Patrick McDonnell, who was responsible for much of the stonework of the new courthouse, was foreman of the Hartfield worksite. The project’s scope proved too grand for Hartfield’s finances, however, and in September 1884 he sold the building to J.C. Lynch. Financially ruined, Hartfield was found dead within the year.
     Lynch sold his building in 1885 to three Albany businessmen: Max Blach, N.H. Burns and Sam Webb. Charles Hartfield’s widow, Lettie Hartfield, joined them as an equal partner and the group completed the structure, probably using Charles Hartfield’s original plans. The building was occupied over time by such businesses as a grocery, a general merchandise store, a bowling alley and an auto repair shop. The Albany Masonic Lodge began meeting in the structure as early as 1893, and it became know as “The Masonic Building” to local residents. Real estate magnate L.H. Hill purchased the building in 1925, and the Masonic Lodge bought it
White Elephant Saloon and Hartfield Building Markers image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
2. White Elephant Saloon and Hartfield Building Markers
in 1940.
     Damage from nesting bats caused part of the building’s limestone front to tumble into the street in 1954. The Masons took down the facade and rebuilt it with yellow brick. Sold again in 1996, the building was renovated and its facade was reconstructed to reflect its former grandeur as one of Albany’s finest early structures.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12365.)
 
Location. 32° 43.365′ N, 99° 17.85′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on S. Main Street (U.S. 283) south of S. 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White Elephant Saloon (here, next to this marker); Jackson Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Producing Oil Well in West Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Cattle Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. John Brown, Clara Barton and the 1886-1887 Drought Relief (within shouting distance of this marker); Shackelford County
View to South from Hartfield Building image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
3. View to South from Hartfield Building
(within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Col. William E. Dyess (within shouting distance of this marker); James Robert Green (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
View to North from Blach Building image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
4. View to North from Blach Building
Front of Hartfield Building image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
5. Front of Hartfield Building
The Blach Building (right) and the Hartfield Building (left) image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
6. The Blach Building (right) and the Hartfield Building (left)
View to North Along S. Main Street (US 283) image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
7. View to North Along S. Main Street (US 283)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement