Near Somerset in Wabash County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Frances Slocum Monument
A child of English descent, was born in Warwick, Rhode Island, March, 1773, was carried into captivity from her father's house at Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. November 2, 1778, by Delaware Indians soon after the Wyoming Massacre. Her brothers gave persistent search but did not find her until September 21, 1837.
When, inclined by a published letter describing an aged white woman in the Miami Indian village here, two brothers and a sister visited this place and identified her. She lived near here about 32 years with the Indian name "Ma-Con-a-Quah." She died on this ridge March 9, 1847, and was given a Christian burial.
Became a stranger to her mother-tongue. She became a stranger to her brethren, and an alien to her mother's children, through her captivity. See Psalms LXIX, 8.
This monument was erected by Slocums and others who deemed it a pleasure to contribute, and was unveiled by them with public ceremonies May 17, 1900.
A Miami Indian chief, husband of Frances Slocum – Ma-Con-a-Quah –died here in 1833 (?) at an advanced age. Their adult children were:
Ke-Ke-Nok-Esh-Wah, wife of Rev. Jean
O-Zah-Shin-Quah, or Jane, wife of Rev. Peter Bondy, died January 25, 1877, aged 62 years, leaving a husband and nine children.
Location. 40° 41.891′ N, 85° 54.455′ W. Marker is near Somerset, Indiana, in Wabash County. Marker can be reached from County Road 900 S 0.2 miles west of County Road 650 W, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in the center of Frances Slocum Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Somerset IN 46984, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frances Slocum (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Francis Godfroy's Council Chambers (approx. 5.8 miles away); Burial Place of Francis Godfroy (approx. 5.8 miles away); Miami Indian Mills (approx. 6.2 miles away); House of Chief Richardville (approx. 6.8 miles away); Camp Wabash (approx. 7.7 miles away); Brush Carbon Arc Light (approx. 8.1 miles away); Thomas F. Payne / Modoc (approx. 8.1 miles away).
More about this marker. The monument was originally erected in 1900 at the grave site of Frances Slocum near her cabin at Deaf Man's village
Also see . . . Frances Slocum - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on July 10, 2015.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 16, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.