Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jeanerette in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Beau Pre-Circa 1828

 
 
Beau Pre' Marker image. Click for full size.
September 3, 2010
1. Beau Pre' Marker
Inscription. This home, originally known as Pine Grove, was bought in 1830 by John W. Jeanerette, the first postmaster between New Iberia and Charenton, and for whom Jeanerette is named. This historic home escaped the destruction of military operations in the area during the Civil War.
 
Erected 1966 by Louisiana Tourist Development Commission.
 
Location. 29° 56.992′ N, 91° 42.685′ W. Marker is in Jeanerette, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on East Old Spanish Trail (State Highway 182) 0.4 miles south of LSU Bridge Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7605 E Old Spanish Trail, Jeanerette LA 70544, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bayside Plantation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Harry B. Hewes House (approx. 3.3 miles away); St. John The Evangelist Church Parish (approx. 3.4 miles away); Nicholas Provôt (approx. 4.1 miles away); Olivier Plantation (approx. 5.6 miles away); Sorrel (approx. 6.9 miles away); Sugar Cane Festival and Fair Building (approx. 6.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial Building (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jeanerette.
 
More about this marker.
A 1967 photo of Beau Pre Plantation House. It is no longer standing. image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, circa 1967
2. A 1967 photo of Beau Pre Plantation House. It is no longer standing.
Plantation no longer standing. Land has been turned into a cemetery.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Beau Pre Cemetery image. Click for full size.
September 3, 2010
3. Beau Pre Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2015. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 11, 2015.   2. submitted on September 16, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3. submitted on July 11, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement