Royal Oak in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Baptist Church of Royal Oak
Several members of this church were significant to its early development. In 1839 charter member Hamlet Harris, "a free colored person" according to the 1840 census, donated $25.00 towards the construction of the first church. In 1876, Athalinda Phelps donated the land, and the Reverend Silas Finn provided his labor and half of the money required to build a second church. When membership was low at the turn of the century, Anna B. Quick held meetings to maintain the church charter. This marker was erected in 1989, the church's 150th year.
In January 1839 twenty people organized this congregation, ten of whom were baptized in the Red Run Creek. The Baptists built the first church in Royal Oak in August of that year near Main and Third streets. All subsequent churches have stood on the present site on Main Street where the second church, known as the "Greek Cross Church," was built in 1876. The Tabernacle followed in 1981, the first brick sanctuary in 1921 and the adjacent educational building in 1950. The present santuary was erected in 1965.
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1610.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission
Location. 42° 29.493′ N, 83° 8.674′ W. Marker is in Royal Oak, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on North Main Street 0.1 miles north of Eleven Mile Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 North Main Street, Royal Oak MI 48067, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Royal Oak Woman's Club (approx. half a mile away); Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); The Royal Oak (approx. half a mile away); Royal Oak Township Cemetery / Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ridge Road (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fred A. Baker House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Polar Bears (approx. 1.3 miles away); Dr. Firman W. Clawson Homestead Site (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royal Oak.
Also see . . . Genesis: The Church - Our Story. First Baptist Church of Royal Oak and Genesis: The Church merged on January 1, 2010 and is now referred to as Genesis: The Church. (Submitted on July 11, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 11, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.