Paris, Île-de-France, France
Passage des Panoramas
—Histoire de Paris —
Premier lieu public de la capitale doté, dès 1817, de l'éclairage au gax, il possédait une foule de boutiques de luxe: le café Véron, la pâtisserie Félix, la confiserie "A la Duchesse de Courlande", le papetier Susse, et le graveur Stern dont le magasin existe encore.
Built in 1800 on the site of the Hotel de Montmorency-Luxembourg, Passage des Panoramas was named after its two large rotundas, 17 meters in diameter and more than 20 high, and decorated with painted canvases depicting a general view of Paris, and the evacuation of Toulon by the British in December 1793. Despite the disappearance of these panoramas in 1831, the passage was long a favorite with Parisian strollers.
This public place in the capital has had, since 1817, gas lighting, a host of luxury boutiques including: the Véron coffee, Felix pastry, "A Duchess of Courland" confectionery,
Location. 48° 52.301′ N, 2° 20.511′ E. Marker is in Paris, Île-de-France. Marker is on Boulevard Montmartre just east of Rue Vivienne, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paris, Île-de-France 75002, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Le Golf Drouot (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Passages Jouffroy et Verdean (about 150 meters away); Cour Cadet (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Accès Guimard (approx. half a kilometer away); Jewish Student Memorial (approx. one kilometer away); Square Aristade Caviaillé-Coll (approx. one kilometer away); Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul (approx. one kilometer away); Ludovic Jacquinot (approx. 1.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for the Passage des Panoramas. (Submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on July 13, 2015. 4. submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.