Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Buildings 17 - 20
‘Four women will be allowed to each company as laundresses, and will receive one ration per day each The price for washing soldier’s clothing, by the month or by the piece, will be determined by the Council of Administration. Debts due the laundress by soldiers, will be paid or collected at the pay table.’
Revised United States Army Regulations, 1861
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Buffalo Soldiers marker series.
Location. 33° 29.678′ N, 105° 31.514′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Just north of Kit Carson Road north of State Road 220, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Turn right off of Kit Carson Rd. Marker is 50 yards on the right. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Community House (within shouting distance of this marker); Barracks / Dining Hall TB Tent Cottages (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hospital (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hospital Administration (about 300 feet away); Officer’s Quarters (about 400 feet away); Guardhouse (about 400 feet away); Fort Administration Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains of historic Fort Stanton, New Mexico
Regarding Buildings 17 - 20. These laundress quarters were built by the Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th U.S. Cavalry and infantrymen of the 15th U.S. Infantry from September to November 1876.
Also see . . . Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 22, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. 4. submitted on July 22, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.