Athens in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Athens First Presbyterian Church
After first using an interdenominational building, a church was built on West Washington street in 1852. This was badly damaged during the Civil War and worshippers met at the Baptist Church. Sufficient money was raised to begin the building of the present church, "On the Square", which was completed in 1895, less than ten years before this church joined the majority to merge into the United Presbyterian Church. In this church in 1982, commissioners from the UPC and the PCUS Presbyteries voted to merge in the first joint meeting of the two Presbyteries. The resulting Presbytery was called the North Alabama Union Presbytery.
Erected by Given in Honor of Jeane and Alge Nazaretian, Friends of the Church, By their Children, Jeanne N. Smith, Dr. Angie Nazaretian and Peter N. Nazaretian.
Location. 34° 48.16′ N, 86° 58.328′ W. Marker is in Athens, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jefferson Street and West Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on South Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 South Jefferson Street, Athens AL 35611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Athens Sacked and Plundered (within shouting distance of this marker); Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence (within shouting distance of this marker); Athens, Alabama (within shouting distance of this marker); A County Older Than the State (within shouting distance of this marker); North Side of Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Faces of Market Street (about 600 feet away); Scenes From Hobbs & Market Streets (about 600 feet away); Trinity School Cistern (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,246 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.