Near Decatur in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Southeast Air Forces Training Center
The facility was listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2010.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 34° 38.994′ N, 86° 56.882′ W. Marker is near Decatur, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker can be reached from Bee Line Highway (U.S. 31) 0.6 miles south of Thomas L Hammons Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located between the two historical
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gen. N.B. Forrest, C.S.A. (approx. 1.6 miles away); Harris-Pryor House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Gen. Jos. Wheeler (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Benson Field (approx. 3.1 miles away); Burleson House (circa 1836) (approx. 3.1 miles away); “a place of importance” - Union Leadership at Decatur (approx. 3.1 miles away); “Captain, We’ve Got It At Last” - The Charge of the 14th U.S. Colored Infantry (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Air & Space • Education • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 30, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 622 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.