Tanner in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
(Flower Hill Farm)
Build abt. 1858 by Schuyler Harris on land once owned by Henry Augustine Washington, a distant relative of the first president. Through purchases, marriages, and inheritance between the Washington, Harris and Pryor families, all from Virginia, a large plantation of over 3,000 acres was established. Long after the demise of slavery, approx. 60 tenant families lived on the land.
Schuyler Harris gave this house to his daughter, Ida Maria and her husband Wm. Richard Pryor, son of Sen. Luke Pryor II and Isabella Virginia (Harris) Pryor. It is through this descent that this historic house and farm known as “Flower Hill” is owned and held in trust for future generations by Luke Pryor IV and his wife Betty (Lamb) Pryor. It is managed through a family corporation, and is not open to the public.
(Continued on the other side)
(Continue from other side)
Across the highway is a large spring known since early times as “English's Spring.” It produced enough water for a town, and the little settlement, which formed around it, was a contender for the site of the county seat. It was not chosen however and the settlement ceased to exist.
This area for several miles around was known as “Quid Nunc” (Latin for “what next”) Beat and Post
Erected 2003 by Limestone County Historical Society & Athens/Limestone Tourism Council.
Location. 34° 40.785′ N, 86° 56.998′ W. Marker is in Tanner, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on U.S. 31. Touch for map. Located along Hwy 31 near Tanner on right side of hwy headed south toward Birmingham,Al. In front of home. Marker is in this post office area: Tanner AL 35671, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. N.B. Forrest, C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oakland United Methodist Church (approx. 1½ miles away); Southeast Air Forces Training Center (approx. 2.1 miles away); Gen. Jos. Wheeler (approx. 4½ miles away); Cotton Hill (approx. 4½ miles away); Belle Mina / Woodside (approx. 4.7 miles away); Ingalls Shipyard (approx. 4.7 miles away); Burleson House (circa 1836) (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tanner.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,681 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on July 14, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 22, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.