Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Walnutport in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lehigh Canal

 
 
Lehigh Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 6, 2015
1. Lehigh Canal Marker
Inscription. Completed in 1829 under the guidance of entrepreneur Josiah White, this 46 mile canal was constructed in only two years. Operated by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, this hand dug canal contained 52 locks and 8 dams. Canal boats transported coal from Mauch Chunk to Philadelphia, and made this one of the most profitable canals in Pennsylvania. The flood of 1942 ended 113 years of continuous use.
 
Erected 2006 by Northern Lehigh Future Focus.
 
Location. 40° 45.199′ N, 75° 36.096′ W. Marker is in Walnutport, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walnutport PA 18088, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lehigh River (within shouting distance of this marker); Floating From Mine to Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Anchor Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Walnutport (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pennsylvania House Slate Exchange Hotel (about 600 feet away); Slate Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lehigh Valley Railroad Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kern Settlers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walnutport.
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Lehigh Canal Walnutport image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 6, 2015
2. Lehigh Canal Walnutport
Towpath Open Year Round-4 Lifts, One Guard Lock, One Aquduct-1828 Locktender's House
Lehigh Canal image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 6, 2015
3. Lehigh Canal
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement