Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Masonic Hall & Court House

No. 1

 

—Historic Main (Water) Street -Jackson —

 
Masonic Hall & Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, June 24, 2015
1. Masonic Hall & Court House Marker
Inscription.
Oldest Jackson building
used as Court House after '62 fire.
Long home of Masonic Lodge
#65 F&AM.

1854

 
Erected by Jackson Business & Community Association. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Location. 38° 20.891′ N, 120° 46.386′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Broadway, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 Water Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jackson Fire Bell (a few steps from this marker); Rocca's Hall, Theatre, Arena (a few steps from this marker); Site of 1852 Louisiana House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Sharp's Drug, Ginocchio's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Hotel & Odd Fellows Hall Lodge #36 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Louisiana House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Masonic Hall & Court House. From
Masonic Hall & Court House image. Click for full size.
By James King, June 24, 2015
2. Masonic Hall & Court House
Viewed from across Broadway looking toward Water Street.
the "Walking Main Street Jackson" tour brochure: Though somewhat disguised by a classical Spanish revival style over a brick classical revival building, the Masonic Hall arose in spring, 1854. As the building survived the fire of 1862, new owners Amador Lodge No. 56, F&AM rented the building to the county for "a court and two jury rooms." When the new court house was ready in 1864, the Masons reclaimed the top floor, and later purchased the second floor of Rocca's Hall.
 
Also see . . .  "Walking Main Street Jackson" Tour Brochure. This is in PDF format. (Submitted on July 16, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
Masonic Hall & Court House image. Click for full size.
By James King, June 24, 2015
3. Masonic Hall & Court House
Marker is visible to the left of the door under the balcony.
Masonic Hall Sign on the Door image. Click for full size.
By James King, June 24, 2015
4. Masonic Hall Sign on the Door
Masonic Emblem image. Click for full size.
By James King, June 24, 2015
5. Masonic Emblem
Also on the door.
Masons, Eastern Star & Rainbow Girls image. Click for full size.
By James King, June 24, 2015
6. Masons, Eastern Star & Rainbow Girls
Meeting times.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on July 17, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 16, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement