Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of The Odessa Sanitarium
By March 1890 the project had failed. Dr. Haughton moved to Midland. The building became a haven for migrant families. A portion was used as a church.
When Ector County was created in January 1891, the sanitarium was moved several blocks and became the first Ector County Courthouse.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4898.)
Location. 31° 50.813′ N, 102° 22.116′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on North Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 North Grant Avenue, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Matthew D. Ector (within shouting distance of this marker); Ector County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ector County Land Rush Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Odessa Land & Townsite Company (about 300 feet away); The Odessa Telephone Exchange (about 300 feet away); The Waddell Pecan Tree (about 400 feet away); Site of The Dawson Saloon (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.