Brusly in West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Molaisonville / St. James Square
Jacques Molaison arrived in Louisiana with his family in 1785, settling on a Spanish land grant north of this site. He established a mercantile business and the community that grew around it became known as Molaisonville. An 1854 map shows a layout of the settlement that was incorporated in 1901, eventually becoming the Town of Brusly.
St. James Square
Brusly once had a public square carved from four blocks closest to the river. A quarter of each block, at the intersections of Centre (Gwin), St. James and Ambroise Streets, was dedicated to create the square. After several levee setbacks, most of the blocks bordering St. James Square were lost, leaving this triangle of land at the intersection of Bourg and East Main Streets to mark the location.
Erected 2008 by Town Of Brusly.
Location. 30° 23.2′ N, 91° 14.043′ W. Marker is in Brusly, Louisiana, in West Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is at the intersection of South Kirkland Drive (Parish Route 988) and East Main Street (Parish Route 989-2), on the right when traveling south on South Kirkland Drive. Touch for map. On the triangle of land at the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Brusly High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brusly, Louisiana (approx. 0.6 miles away); New Brusly Town Hall Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Open Sugar Kettles (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles P. Adams (approx. 0.6 miles away); Herbert Osborn Dickerson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brusly.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2015. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.