Mount Clemens in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Organized on July 3, 1854, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was the first German Protestant congregation in Mount Clemens. Its founding trustees were John Rossow and Abraham Devantier from Prussia, John William Miller and Carsten Roecker from Hanover, and John Charles Reimold and John George Murthum from Wuerttemberg. Zion Church operated as a free congregation, welcoming all Christians. It served primarily German-speaking Catholic and Protestant immigrants, including Lutherans, Calvinists and Huguenots. Worshipping at first in the Macomb County Courthouse, the congregation purchased this site, the former Methodist Academy, in 1862. The nave of the present brick sanctuary was built by Minard Barr in 1880. The tower and transepts were added in 1895.
The itinerant ministers who served Zion Church in its formative years were Methodist, Lutheran and Evangelical. The first resident pastor was the Reverend William Kies (1862-1864). He was followed by the Reverend Hermann Gundert (1864-1903), who contributed $4,000 of his own money to help fund the tower and transepts of the present church building. It was not until the 1920s, during the pastorate of the Reverend F.A. Roese (1903-26), that English became the language of the worship service and of church records.
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1251.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 35.971′ N, 82° 52.693′ W. Marker is in Mount Clemens, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is at the intersection of New Street and Pine Street, on the right when traveling north on New Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 68 New Street, Mount Clemens MI 48043, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Mary's School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carnegie Library (about 500 feet away); Mount Clemens Mineral Bath Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crocker House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House (approx. half a mile away); Clinton Grove Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Clemens.
1. Evangelical Deaconess Hospital and Evangelical Home for Children and Aged
The Evangelical Deaconess Hospital no longer exists (it was on E Jefferson near Elmwood). The Evangelical Home for Children and Aged is now Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center at 6700 West Outer Drive.
— Submitted July 18, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 18, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.