Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Odessa's first post office opened in 1885. The town was platted the following year and became county seat when Ector County was formally organized in 1891. The first elected county commissioners were M.G. Buchanan, J.W. Driven, James Bolton and J.L. Gray.
Located in the Permian Basin, in the midst of great oil and natural gas reserves, Odessa was a small farming and ranching town until oil was discovered on the W.E. Connell Ranch (16 mi. SW) in 1926. Growth was rapid, and the city was incorporated the following year, with S.R. McKinney as first mayor. By 1930, Odessa was an established oil center and after World War II, it became a major distribution and processing point in the petrochemical industry.
The city of Odessa serves as a vital trading center for this part of Texas and boasts civic, cultural and educational
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3670.)
Location. 31° 50.981′ N, 102° 22.472′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is at the intersection of West 8th Street and North Sam Houston Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Jackrabbit (a few steps from this marker); World's First Championship Jackrabbit Roping (a few steps from this marker); Ector County Public Schools (a few steps from this marker); The Henderson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Waddell Pecan Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of The Odessa Sanitarium (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ector County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ector County Land Rush (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.