Demopolis in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Temple B誰ai Jeshurun
Congregation B地ai Jeshurun dedicated its first temple on this site on Thanksgiving Day, November 30, 1893 with Rabbi Edward Levy of Selma officiating. The perpetual lamp was lighted by Isaac Marx, the first Jew to settle in Demopolis. The larger wooden synagogue with a Moorish-influenced dome was demolished in 1958 after construction of this new temple within its shell. The congregation was founded in 1858 by immigrants from central Europe who began arriving in the 1840s and established businesses which operated in the community until 2002, when Rosenbush Furniture Company closed its doors after 107 years of operation.
The congregation became associated with the Reform movement after the establishment of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations.
B地ai Jeshurun means “Children of Righteousness”, the poetic name for the Jewish people, often used in the Bible to designate the ideal character of Israel. The congregation痴 cemetery located on East Jefferson Street was established in 1878. The congregations were led by dedicated rabbis including Lewis Mayer, the brothers Jacob and George Bley, and Jerome Levy.
Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Demopolis AL 36732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bluff Hall (about 500 feet away); White Bluff (about 700 feet away); The Demopolis Opera House / Lillian Hellman And (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alabama Cattlemen痴 Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Demopolis Theater District (approx. ｼ mile away); Demopolis Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Demopolis.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on July 20, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Quer騁aro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.